Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Foster's Creations




1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I began in 1995 making silk wedding flowers (after making them for my own wedding) and brochures. I began cake decorating in 1997, baking has always been relaxing for me. Decorating cakes is a creative outlet for me. They not only look amazing they taste amazing. I have always enjoyed web design and began doing that in 1997 as well as logo design. In 2000 I wanted to make soap for my family for Christmas but all that was available locally were some kits that were not the best quality. So I hit the internet and started searching. I found a wonderful fragrance oil vendor yahoo group that was offering classes. The first class was a cream class and I was hooked and that is how our Bath and Body line began. It has blossomed considerably since 2001. My jewelry line was created in the fall of 2006 while recuperating from surgery for Uterine Cancer. I needed something to do during the 8 week recovery time and jewelry making helped me pass the time. I created an awareness line of beaded bookmarks, bracelets, earrings and key chains.

2. Where are you located?
Clinton, Iowa.

3. How did you come up with your business name?
I was told many years ago that having your name in your business makes it less likely to be taken by someone else. I chose to add Creations so that it wouldn't limit me to one thing. I started out doing silk flowers for weddings and graphics design. It expanded from there.

4. Where do you sell your products?
I do home parties, craft shows and sell my products on my webpage, www.fosterscreations.us.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
Member of the Clinton Iowa Chamber of Commerce, I am chair of their Small Business Committee and Co-Chair of the Women In Business Committee.

6. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
I am always doing something, whether it is making bath and body products, coming up with new scent blends, making new jewelry items or working on my website or doing work on my clients sites.

7. Do you ever get stumped for ideas? How do you work through it?
I often get stumped coming up with new scent blend names. I often turn to my customers for help in naming my new blends.

8. What would be your dream job?
I am doing my dream job. The only thing that would make it better would be if my hubby could work from home with me.

9. Do you have any quirks or obsessions you care to share?
I love working in my fuzzy pink ribbon slippers.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
Chicken Alfredo (from our local Italian restaurant)

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee? I enjoy both equally.

A great big Thank You to Shannon of Foster's Creations for the great interview.

No comments: