Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Creative Outlet Designs














1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I am work at home, stay at home Mom. I have 2 children at home and a teenage – Eek! -stepson who visits often. I have always loved creating with my hands. I started art classes at a young age and continued dabbling in the arts up through high school. I reconnected to my art roots when my first daughter was born. It is amazing how creating a life changes your own entirely. Sewing and designing is a great way for me to have “me” time and a chance to keep learning and developing my talents. It’s a great expression of my ideas and personality that’s different from anything else I do.

2. Where are you located?
I am located in Idaho and work out of my home office and sewing room!

3. How did you come up with your business name?
LOL!!! Well……….just sort of on a whim. Basically, I was needing something for “me” outside of my everyday duties as wife and mother. My own creative outlet – hence my name – creative outlet designs

4. Where do you sell your products?
I sell locally to family, friends and referrals. I started selling on ebay a few years ago and that helped me to reach a HUGE worldwide audience. I also have a shop on Blossomst.com in the Villa Fresca neighborhood, Creative Outlet Designs at Blossom Street. You can also find ebooks written by me of some of my patterns, etc on You Can Make This.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
As far as the designing/boutique community goes, I am involved with a website called Boutique Cafe. It’s a weekly podcast for the fashion savvy mommy. We spotlight, interview and highlight indie designer from ebay, etsy and other Momprenuer sites and companies.

6. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
I’m a full time Mommy! I have 2 small children at home that keep me on the go, go, go! I volunteer with the youth group at my church as well. When not designing you can find me shopping too! I love hunting down an bargain – whether it be clothing, accessories or even a fun “junk yard” find that I can re-create to make it my own.

7. Do you ever get stumped for ideas? How do you work through it? SURE! Sometimes it can be a bit hard when a customer asks for a specific theme for an outfit or when I am trying to create an outfit for a themed launch with a group. The ideas and inspirations are just not there. To work through this I usually will go fabric shopping locally and online. Just browsing around to see what JUMPS out at me. If that doesn’t work, sometimes just putting it away for awhile and focusing on something else will help. Usually while involved in another event or activity I’ll see something that will spark an idea and it starts snowballing from there. It’s usually something small, a decal, a symbol in a book or magazine or something I have read will take what I trying to create and push it in a whole different direction – one that comes together much easier.

8. Do you have any quirks or obsessions you care to share?
Hehehe. I have quirky double jointed elbows that can turn move in odd directions to really freak some people out. I am obsessed with Black and white! I love that color combo – it can be simple, dramatic, bold, etc. I love to use it not only when designing and creating but in home décor as well.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner,
after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
That is hard! I am a bread fanatic!!! I love bread so eating at a fabulous Italian restaurant with bread and dipping oil, pasta and yummy salads is a favorite of mine. On the other hand, I like it HOT too! I love a great salsa with chips followed by a great Mexican main dish followed by more salsa and chips!

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Neither! I hardly prefer water. I am pretty simple when it comes to that. Just water for me with a touch or lemon, lime, cucumber or a touch of both.

Thank you for the great interview. Be sure to check out Creative Outlet Designs.