Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Designing Diva









Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business
I’m a late bloomer who found creating jewelry to be a passion (don’t you know that Clinical Scientist degree looks so much better collecting dust in the attic!). Initially, I started simple beading for stress relief but this quickly turned into an addiction. I’m self taught and currently metal smith, wire wrap, chainmaille and work with glass (fused and lamp work) as a medium; I just can’t decide because it all so much fun! My husband and soul mate, John is extremely supportive and has encouraged me every step of the way from my first sale to trunk show to the e-commerce jewelry boutique, Designing-Diva. Our children, Brittney(8) and Blake(6), can often be found in the studio helping pack orders and making their own little wearable art; Blake loves to make his own pendant talisman necklaces and Brittney loves making charms for her bracelets.

2. Where are you located?
I’m located in the Big D aka Dallas. My studio is in my home.

3. How did you come up with your business name?
Designing-Diva came from my empowerment and career change; going from unhappy geeky clinical scientist to this happy wonderfully creative person. Diva is an Italian word that is derived from Latin and stands for goddess. I wanted my designs to be unique and make women everywhere feel beautiful and sexy (hence the goddess).

4. Where do you sell your products?
I currently sell my wearable art online at my jewelry boutique, Designing-Diva. You can also find some of my designs online at Bagadoodle, mintd, and Artisans Market. I’m involved in some other online projects that are very near to being “live” that are indie and art bases. I am carried in a retail gift shop in Lamont, AB called LaGaleria (www.LaGaleria.ca).


5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
As an indie jewelry artist, I’m very vocal about supporting indie business. I participate in online forums like The Switchboards and would love to participate offline with the Dallas Craft Mafia but it just never seems to work with my schedule!

6. What inspires you?
OMG, everything. Whatever I see and hear, my brain immediately thinks how can I translate that into jewelry. One of my most popular designs (pink mop hoop earrings) is inspired by a favorite childhood memory-swinging on a tire that my Grandfather had hung.

7. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
Going to my Grandma’s house and baking with her. She had a little table set up and gave me my very own apron. Whatever she was making, bread or pie, she would let me make my own “mini version”. I can still remember making gingerbread men from pie dough and using raisins for the eyes; they were dirt brown because I’d play with the dough before making my creation. It really is true…a little dirt never hurt anyone. LOL!

8. What is your favorite color?
Gosh, I have to choose just one. At the moment it is aqua. Peruvian blue opal and aqua colored glass are just rocking my world!

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
Finally, an easy question! Dark Chocolate. Yes, it is a food group!

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Absolutely has to be a cup of good dark joe. The darker and bolder taste the better!

No comments: