Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Midnight Firefly









1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
My business is Midnight Firefly and I create one of a kind jewelry from sterling silver, gold, and semiprecious stones. My background is in graphic design and fine art and I feel that this, along with nature inspires many of my ideas.

2. Where are you located?
Western Massachusetts

3. How did you come up with your business name?
Midnight Firefly actually comes from lyrics of a Sarah McLachlan song that struck me; "Your eyes like midnight fireflies light up the trenches where my heart lies". Not only did the words sound beautiful together, but it was such a stunning visual. The meaning has transformed for me as I've had the business and I think that it's come to describe myself and my customers; a creature that may seem completely commonplace but is beautiful and exquisite because of the effect it has on it's surroundings.

4. Where do you sell your products?
www.midnightfirefly.com

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
Western Massachusetts Artists Association

6. Read any good books lately?
I just finished the most amazing book, "The Time Travelers Wife". It's not really science-fiction as the title suggests, although the main character does travel through time. The book truely demonstrates the character and bond of true love, while giving the reader an appreciation for the here and now. It really forces you to think about the sequence of events in your life, and how they relate to each other.

7. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
Other than designing jewelry, I am also a freelance graphic designer. You can see some of my design work at www.amdesignworks.com.
In my free time, I like to spend time with my fiance. I enjoy going hiking or to the beach when the weather is nice. I love to watch movies and to read. I love anything involved with art. I could spend an entire day in a museum and love walking through galleries.


8. What’s your favorite color?
Many people argue about this with me, but my favorite color is brown. I've been told that brown is not a color and I have to choose something else, but there's something about a good chocolate brown. It has depth and richness, and next to any other color it just seems to pop to life.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
I love food, it'd be so hard to pick just one, it really depends on my mood. My recent favorite has been calamari with garlic and banana peppers. I think I could eat that every day for the next week.

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
I love a good cup of coffee, it's like a spiritual experience for me.

No comments: