Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Plays with Mud





















1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I've always been fascinated by the "finished product." The process of taking raw materials and turning them into something tangible and functional is so inspiring; the fact that a big chunk of clay can be morphed into a beautiful bowl is just so cool.
Plays With Mud is a collection of all the things I love to make. Pottery, belts, paper goods ... you name it, I've probably made it. Right now, I make a lot of custom gifts for people. I love it when someone comes to me and asks if I could make a birthday gift for their friend, or a Christmas present for their mom. It totally makes my day!

2. Where are you located?
Plays With Mud is in the growing township of Fort Mill, South Carolina, just outside of Charlotte, North Carolina.

3. How did you come up with your business name?
I wanted something that was fun and playful ... not too serious but still indicative of the products that I create. At the time I came up with the name, I was getting a lot of requests for my pottery pieces. I wanted something that was memorable, and I searched far and wide for a URL address that was available. Plays With Mud reminded me of the notes you got from your teacher in grade school ... plays well with others, runs with scissors, etc. Although my product line has evolved to include fabric and paper goods, I believe that the fun and playfulness of my business name is still captured in the work that I do.

4. Where do you sell your products?
While I'm anticipating some future retail partnerships, currently my products are sold through my website www.playswithmud.com. I recently listed some one-of-a-kind (and quite cute) bookmarks on Etsy www.etsy.com/playswithmud.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
I am a proud member of the Charlotte Craft Mafia, an affiliate of the larger and original Austin Craft Mafia. I participate in several online forums for independent businesses, my favorite of which is The Switchboards.

6. What inspires you?
So many things. Sorting through and organizing all my supplies; walking through the craft store; taking a field trip to the fabric store (MECCA!!); reading crafty blogs; spending time with other crafty folk; visiting and vending at craft and art shows. I have a very large sketchbook that contains more ideas than I'll ever have time to work on. I love reading about how other designers have started their businesses and what motivates them to continue.

7. What would be your dream job?
While building and maintaining Plays With Mud would be my dream job, I would "settle" to be a designer at a large-scale craft manufacturer; developing new product ideas, new designs, and new uses for old products. Crafty ideas + corporate benefits = Paula's dream job.

8. Do you have any quirks or obsessions you care to share?
One of my quirks is that I don't have any "favorites." It seems so finite for me to choose one thing over the other. I have "preferences," but it's always been challenging for me to answer those emails or surveys that come around asking for your favorite food or color, etc.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
Ok, I'm gonna have to negate my earlier comment about not having any favorites with these next two questions!! :-)
Hands down, my hubby's grilled shrimp and scallops. He uses this (top secret) seasoning that we got when we were honeymooning in the BVIs. I can't order shrimp in restaurants anymore because it's always a disappointment when compared to his version!

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
This is a tough one - I love love love my coffee in the morning, but I hate being a slave to caffeine; I switched to decaf for a while, but really, what's the point?? Then again, there's something so relaxing and peaceful about enjoying a cup of tea in the afternoon. Again with the favorites ... can I have both? :-)

No comments: