Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Retrospective Design




1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
My name is Josephine and I’m a graphic designer. I have a BFA in Art Visual Communications and have experience in web, print and television. I started Retrospective Design in January 2007. I do completely custom designs for photo montages, photo books, wedding invitations and more. Each design I make is specially made just for each customer. My customers send me their favorite photos and I get to make them a unique montage. I do my wedding invitations a little different than most companies. I create custom designs and then provide you with the print ready electronic files that you can take to your local printer or print at home. This is a great way for the bride on the budget to get a design she loves. I love creating new designs and I am always ready for a challenge.

2. Where are you located
Kansas City, MO

3. How did you come up with your business name?
It took me awhile. The first few names I thought of were taken. So then I started looking words up in the thesaurus. And that’s where I got Retrospective Design.

4. Where do you sell your products?
I sell my work through my website www.retrospectivedesign.com. You can email your orders to me at info@retrospectivedesign.com. You can also check me out on etsy at www.retrospectivedesign.etsy.com

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
I belong to a few different message boards, some just for women and some for business. I love theswitchboards.com and I’m a member of indiepublic.com.

6. What inspires you?
My customers’ photos inspire me most. I love seeing their favorite images. I also love looking at different patterns, shapes and lines to get ideas for a new design.

7. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
I spend time with my husband and my family. We love watching movies and just hanging out. I also enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes.

8. Do you ever get stumped for ideas? How do you work through it?
I usually take a break. Sometimes I just need to get away from work and think about other things. That’s usually when I get my best ideas.

9. Do you have any quirks or obsessions you care to share?
I’m addicted to reality TV. I can’t help it. I watch almost all of it… Big Brother, The Hills, I could go on.

10. What’s your favorite color?
Sometimes it changes, but usually the warm colors like red, deep pinks, orange or golden yellows.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
This is hard. I love food! Probably Mexican though. I love chicken and spinach enchiladas and then some fried ice cream for dessert.

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Actually neither, but if I had to pick, it’d be coffee. Only if it’s a mocha frappuccino though. I usually get a cherry coke.

No comments: