Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: greenKangaroo



1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I started selling crafty stuff about four years ago. I started out
making a few different things, but I mostly concentrate on resin
jewelry now. I also dabble in appliquéd clothing, when my sewing
machine decides to cooperate.

2. Where are you located?
I'm from New Orleans, and that's where my heart is. I've been in
Paducah, Kentucky, for the past few months. I'm aching to be back
home. Rent prices are finally getting back to normal, so I plan to
return when this lease is up.

3. How did you come up with your business name?
I named my business "greenKangaroo" after the Judy Blume novel. My
little sister was born in 2000 and made me a middle child at the age
of 24! She's the best and loves to make stuff with me. She sold some
of her own creations at a market with me this past December.

4. Where do you sell your products?
Online, both through my own store and the New Orleans Craft Mafia
store. On Etsy, greenKangaroo. At markets. I'm trying to do non-New Orleans
markets as I get the cash to pay for travel.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
I started the New Orleans Craft Mafia in June 2005 and we have a
wonderful group of ladies involved.

6. What inspires you?
Anything and everything. I keep clippings from magazines. I save
photos on my hard drive. I doodle sketches and write down ideas. I
have so many new ideas that by the time I make something new, I
already feel like it's not quite representative of my vision.

7. Read any good books lately?
I finally broke down and read "The Art of Resin Jewelry" by Sherri
Haab, years after I first started playing with resin. I had already
figured out most of what she teaches in the book, but I did also learn
some new tricks. I wish I had just read it from the beginning. It
would have saved me a lot of trial and error. But I'm stubborn like
that.

8. What's your favorite childhood memory?
Most of my favorite childhood memories are crafty. My grandma
teaching me how to use my sewing machine and how to crochet. My best
friend's mom teaching me how to hand-sew Barbie clothes. My mom doing
all sorts of crafty projects with me.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner,
after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
Oh man, anything with potatoes! Fried, mashed, hashed, whatever.

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Mmmmm, tea. I drink coffee once in a while but I have to put soooo
much sugar into it to make it drinkable.

A big thank you to greenKangaroo for the great interview. Be sure to check out her etsy shop here.

No comments: