Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Hana Lynn Jewelry



1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
My name is Julie Shields. I'm the Owner and Jewelry Designer behind the online e-shop Hana Lynn Jewelry. Hana Lynn Jewelry features original, exclusive jewelry designs incorporating only choice materials such as quality precious and semi-precious gemstone beads, precious metals, fine artisan pieces, unique vintage components, premium freshwater/cultured pearls, Swarovski crystal and artistic glass. Almost all of my designs are one time only creations. So, each piece that is purchased is the ONLY one just like it.

2. Where are you located?
Well, I relocated from sunny Dallas, Texas to beautiful British Columbia, Canada almost 5 years ago. I currently live here with my Canadian husband and 2 little spoiled rotten kitty-cats. However, I'm very proud to be an "All American Girl" and absolutely love it whenever I am able get back to the good old U.S. of A.

3. How did you come up with your business name?
My grandmother was Japanese. Much like myself, she left her familiar home and country to live and adapt in another country for love. She always loved puttering around in her garden with her flowers and also loved jewelry. She used to love to take me back to her room to show me her costume jewelry, and she often picked up little neat pieces for me at garage and estate sales. She was the only grandmother I ever knew. She passed away a couple of years ago, and it moved me to decide to pursue my jewelry designing dream. My business and site are dedicated to her. "Hana" means flower in Japanese, and "Lynn" is an English word for cascade or waterfall. It's a bit of a "tribute" to the bravery found in my mixed racial background and my grandmother.

4. Where do you sell your products?
I currently only run my jewelry business online www.hanalynn.com. However, I do have a couple of "brick and mortar" retail locations that have purchased several of my designs for sale in their boutiques. Those locations are listed at my web shop under the "Retailers" section. I'm very choosy about where I choose to place my designs, but I hope to add a few more nice physical locations in the near future.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
I am always checking out the many fabulous fashion, art, jewelry and crafty forums online. I am a member of several. I feel it's extremely important to keep up with the latest trends and to constantly learn, grow and progress in my craft. Not to mention, there are some truly inspiring artists and designers out there! I love having the opportunity to associate with them.

6. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
Well, I work a full-time day job M-F as an Office Manager/HR Administrator. But, besides that, I'm very interested in web design lately. So, when I'm not working my "day job", designing jewelry, taking care of other aspects of my business or watching my current favorite show, "Heroes", I'm teaching myself web design.

7. What’s your favorite color?
I have different favorite colors for different things. It's hard to just pick one. I love all kinds of colors. I really like trying different color combinations in my jewelry designs and finally finding those stunning contrasts that create something striking and "perfect"... so much fun!

8. What’s the most difficult aspect of running your biz?
I just love the creative part of my business, but... UGH... I agonize over anything that involves numbers. Math has never been any fun for me.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
Mmm... I love Oriental stir fry.... or just about any Tex-Mex food!

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
I'm a huge Green Tea drinker... I try to have at least 2 cups per day. I also love Chai Tea.

A big THANK YOU to Julie of Hana Lynn Jewelry for the great Sunday Brunch interview!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the interview! =)