Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Gallimaufry Arts




1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I’m 33, am married with two children, and I work part-time at a winery. I started Gallimaufry Arts to try and remain a stay-at-home mom, and still contribute to my family. I make vintage-inspired jewelry, chain maille, little books, goodies for the home and other random items.

2. Where are you located?
In a little foothill town between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

3. How did you come up with your business name?
I like making lots of different things--sometimes I really like making them, and sometimes I don’t. The definition of gallimaufry is a medley or hodgepodge, and in addition to liking the word, I thought it would give me space to explore different avenues.

4. Where do you sell your products?
Currently through my website, www.gallimaufryarts.com, my Etsy shop GallimaufryArts@etsy.com, purplepinkandorange.com, mybonnieandclyde.com, and soon at lepetitgarage.com. I’m hoping to get into some brick and mortar stores this year as well.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
The Switchboards.

6. What inspires you?
Anything old or antique, carnivals, boxes, nature, music, movies, other artists.

7. Read any good books lately?
Elephant House, it’s about Edward Gorey’s home.

8. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
Think about making things! I love spending time with my kids, taking pictures, cooking, gardening, walking, watching movies.

9. Have any marketing or business tips you’d like to share?
Just do what you love, and make your business an authentic extension of you.

10. Do you ever get stumped for ideas? How do you work through it?
All the time! I either just let myself take a break, or look for things that inspire me, and usually something will come up. The important thing is to not force it.

11. What would be your dream job?
Doing what I do now with Gallimaufry, but on a large enough scale to do it full time.

12. What’s the most difficult aspect of running your biz?
Definitely marketing! It’s like having kids—everyone tells you how hard it is, but until you’re in the middle of it, you really have no idea. It takes a huge amount of time and energy.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner,
after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
Good cheese, salami, crackers, fresh fruit, and a bottle of wine.

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Wine. I mean tea!

Big Thanks to Gallimaufry Arts!!

No comments: