Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Liliputians













1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I'm Heather Flottmann, owner and designer of liliputians. The concept for the liliputians label was born in NYC on May 12, 2004 with the arrival of Lily Belle. She is the inspiration, and she is my muse. Liliputians became a reality about a year later with the completion of the liliputians NYC web site, www.liliputians-nyc.com.

Liliputians is a hip, indie clothing label from NYC specializing in custom, boutique childrens clothes. All Liliputians clothing is lovingly hand crafted to custom perfection. Liliputians offers special designs for every day, unique birthday and holiday outfits, art inspired Mommy & Me sets, trendy appliqued tees, and fun accessories such as dolly barrettes, funky hair clips, and hair flowers. All creations are heirloom quality, limited editions or even one of a kind. For hip babies, little girls & boys, and mommies too!

2. Where are you located?
We're in NYC and love living here. This city never stops inspiring me!

3. How did you come up with your business name?
People always ask me, "Where did the name liliputians come from?" That, and how to say it. Well, liliputians was chosen for a couple of reasons. First of all, I love the play on words with my daughter Lily's name kind of being hidden inside. That only makes sense, as she is the inspiration for the brand. Liliput also was a familiar childhood place, as Gulliver's Travels was one of my favorite stories. I loved the part of the story where Gulliver wakes up on the beach surrounded by all the little liliputians. Lastly, the name liliputians has a history both in NYC and in children's fashions. In 1879, Best & Company founded the Liliputian Bazaar at 60 West 23rd Street in NYC. It was a leading fashion house and specialized in fine children's wear. Oh, and I almost forgot! Lilputians is said like this (lill-uh-pyoo'-shuns).

4. Where do you sell your products?
Liliputians clothing and barrettes are sold on my web site, www.liliputians-nyc.com as well as other online retailers. Lliputians designs are also sold at brick and mortar boutiques around the world.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
There really is a great support network online for indie designers and business owners. I belong to Indie Finds and The Switchboards and have found the advice and encouragement invaluable. I also have an ebay store and belong to a crafty group of like-minded designers called The Little Darlas. And last but not least I have an etsy store and belong to the group Etsy Kids.

6. When you're not making things, what do you do?
(In no particular order) Flower gardening, yoga, cycling along the Hudson with Lily, jogging with Lily in her jog-stroller, antiquing, visiting museums, shopping, cooking.

7. Have any marketing or business tips you'd like to share?
I would tell other small business owners to utilize the internet. There is a wealth of free information! I subscribe to a couple of newsletters for web maintance/html/java tips and SEO. I've gone online for answers about taxes, business paperwork, and other things.

8. Do you ever get stumped for ideas? How do you work through it?
I have an idea file, both images that I've saved from online as well as pages torn from magazines. It may be a photo of a bedroom and the color combination is inspiring. Or perhaps a font used in an article helps me brainstorm about its transformation into an applique. I find inspiration from everything really and going through this file helps me if I ever feel stumped.

9. What's the most difficult aspect of running your biz?
There are not enough hours in the day! My business is rapidly growing, but my responsibilities as a parent stay the same. I have to do more work in the same amount of time. Lily starts Montessori school next fall so that will help considerably, giving me more time to devote to my business.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
spicy vegetable pad Thai

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
I am a big mochaccino drinker!

Thank you Heather for the great interview. Be sure to check out her adorable goodies at Liliputians.

No comments: