Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Gwacie Beads






1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I am a full time glass artist who specializes mainly in lampwork glass beads, buttons and cabochons. My primary aim is to supply jewelry designers with unique custom pieces of art for their designs. I’m married and currently live with 4 dogs.

2. Where are you located?
I live in Southeastern Michigan

3. How did you come up with your business name?
Gwacie is my nickname. I have always been a klutz and thus I was often called “Gracie” as I clumped and bumped my way through the life. In time the name changed to “Gwacie” and it just stuck.

4. Where do you sell your products?
I have a very active website at www.gwaciebeads.com . In addition, I often travel to local bead shows, art shows and bead stores, and occasionally I sell via online auction sites.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
I belong to several glass artist organizations.

6. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
I’m involved in terrier rescue and transport. Occasionally I get out and garden. But most of my time is spent in creation mode.

7. Have any marketing or business tips you’d like to share?
Your business card is your best friend. It’s the cheapest and most effective marketing tool you can use.

8. Do you ever get stumped for ideas? How do you work through it?
If I get stuck in my glass work I move to another medium for a while or I get out and look at things – colors in stores or museums. I let myself rest mentally and drench myself with other input.

9. Do you have any quirks or obsessions you care to share?
It’s a constant struggle for me to limit my fabric and fleece inventories. I have a zillion ideas when I see a fun fabric or yarn or fleece and I just want to have all of the wonderful textiles on hand just in case I ever get time to use them. My collection is getting a bit unreasonable at this point.

10. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
We had a German Shepard mix when I was a kid. He had no formal training. I spent hours training that dog to do tricks and obedience commands one summer. He was a great dog.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
It would be hard for me to choose just one meal, since I'm such a foodie, but right now I'd have to say my current favorite would be Thai lettuce wraps. It's the perfect warm weather lightweight meal because it's satisfying without being too heavy. Plus there's room for dessert!

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Tea, mostly herbals or a nice double bergamot Earl Grey on occasion.

Great interview and amazingly gorgeous beads. Check them out at Gwacie Beads.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just looked at her website and I love the colors in her beads!

Queen of Tides said...

Fabulous work! Very inspiring use of color and texture, love the fact that the artist branches out into other mediums to find inspiration.