Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Kilobyte Couture




1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
My name is Brittany Forks, and I am a senior graphic design major at Mississippi State University. I created Kilobyte Couture in May 2006 as a small minimal side project selling jewelry on etsy.com. Later on in the year I told my teachers about my side project, and they decided a professional identity and name change in the works so Kilobyte Couture was officially launched Feb 6, 2007. I am currently taking an independent study class under Kate Bingaman (obsessiveconsumption.com) developing my brand and promoting my jewelry.

2. Where are you located?
Mississippi State, Mississippi

3. How did you come up with your business name?
My boyfriend came up with the name one day while we were namestorming.

4. Where do you sell your products?
I sell them on my website kilobyte couture, but would love to sell through other stores or distros.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
Does craftster.org count...if not no.

6. Read any good books lately?
Tons! I love to read. The Giver, Slaughterhouse-Five, The Bell Jar,

7. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
Graphic Design Homework, watching movies, trying to get out of Mississippi as much as possible.

8. What would be your dream job?
I would naturally love to make a living selling my jewelry, but if that’s not possible I would love to be a graphic designer at Nintendo of America.
Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
This is my favorite meal from our local diner: a Reuben sandwich and hashbrowns with cheese, mushrooms, and onions...and a coke

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Tea. Alll kinds.

Thank you Brittany for a great interview. Be sure to visit her website at kilobyte couture.

No comments: