Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: bōbē bath essentials










1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
If someone had asked me 10 years ago if I ever saw myself as an entrepreneur I would’ve either curled up my nose or stared blankly at them. Now that I’ve begun my journey on this path I can’t imagine myself not doing it. It’s the most challenging yet rewarding thing I’ve ever done. I started bōbē just over a year ago from very humble beginnings but it’s slowly evolving and I have big plans for the year ahead. The packaging & labels are being recreated, new products will be added to the line & I’m making a point of getting out into the community as much as possible. I want to be able to provide a “choose your own adventure” for bath & body products. The products are to be quality items, at an affordable price while maintaining a professional appearance.

2. Where are you located?
Saskatoon, SK Canada

3. How did you come up with your business name?
The name bōbē (pronounced “beau-bee”) happened by accident really. My younger brother brought home a new goldfish a few years ago and wanted to call it Bobby; but being the tender age of 8, spelt it wrong on his sheet of paper that he showed me. When I said that it said bobe instead he decided to just call him that. When I was brainstorming business names this was near the top of the list. I thought I could use a fish as a “mascot” but when registering the business name I couldn’t use just bōbē, I needed a descriptive term as well. I thought an acronym would be a good way to do that. bōbē: beyond ordinary bath essentials was then born!

4. Where do you sell your products?
Our products are available through our website www.bobebathessentials.com.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
The Switchboards – what an amazing network of talented indie businesswomen!

6. Read any good books lately?
Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes – great summer relaxation reading!

7. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
Exercise has recently become a large part of my spare time. Now that’s it warmed up I’ve joined a running clinic with my goal to be able to run 5K by the end and I’m learning to golf. Reading has always been a passion of mine as well.

8. What would be your dream job?
My dream job would be to expand bōbē to a full-time venture, ultimately as a retail location.

9. Do you have any quirks or obsessions you care to share?
I’m a bit of a perfectionist and small details always catch my eye. i.e. spelling errors It’s a blessing and a curse because I hate to feel nit-picky J

10. What’s the most difficult aspect of running your biz?
The most difficult aspect for me personally is marketing. It’s one of my main goals for this year is to learn more about marketing and find effective outlets to spread the word about bōbē.

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
Dessert – I’d eat it before my meal if I could!

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Peppermint Tea

A big thanks to bōbē Bath essentials for the great interview. Be sure to visit www.bobebathessentials.com for some fantastic bath goodies.

No comments: