Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sunday Brunch Special: Relaxation Works










1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your indie business.
I have a really thick Boston accent and get the classic head tilt from people when I am in conversation with them. I can be silly, shy and outgoing all within two minutes and most definitely outrageous but never in church! I don't have any brothers or sisters but I do have a HUGE family which is awesome; my family are my best friend’s and my best friend’s are my family.

My business was never supposed to include body care products, only massage oils for my private massage therapy practice. Boy oh boy that has all changed. Now I make over 5 different scrubs, three different lotions and a boat load of bath teas, bath salts and bath bombs. I am big on using paraben free preservatives in all my skin & spa products. Many products are Vegan, organic and 100% natural. The best part is naming the product and getting feed back from my customers.

2. Where are you located?
I am surrounded with cranberry bogs (Ocean spray headquarters is actually in my town)in Lakeville MA, which is one hour south of Boston, MA and about 40 minutes form Cape Cod, MA.

3. How did you come up with your business name?
I can't get enough of lavender and the original name was Lavender SPA, but as a family member pointed out "How are they going to know you offer massage?" So I changed it to Relaxing Works which didn't flow that well so the official end all be all was Relaxation Works, which I must say is a great pun on words.

4. Where do you sell your products?
Online at www.relaxationworks.net, local boutiques and www.relaxationworks.etsy.com. Etsy has so much talent squeezed into one place, I love it.

5. Do you belong to any local and/or web groups or affiliations?
My massage therapy practice enables me to be part of many holistic and health related groups that network with like-minded people and businesses. But as of now I am actually on the hunt for an outlet for my bath and body business so I can work with local artists and indie businesses. I want to lend my voice and vision. I do belong to Boston Mafia which is fun and fabulous.

6. When you’re not making things, what do you do?
MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC! I go to many live shows to support the local music scene. I love watching people who are passionate about what they do.

7. Have any marketing or business tips you’d like to share?
Make mistakes and make them often, but learn form them or they come back to bit you in the tookas. Put yourself out there and don't be afraid to toot your own horn. Cross-promoting always works well. I go craft fairs to promote my bath & body care business but and at the same time I give away free 5 minute chair massages too "draw the customer in".

8. Do you ever get stumped for ideas? How do you work through it?
(such a great question) That happens in waves for me, sometimes too often. My problem though is sifting through all the many ideas I have, because lets face it, not all idea are good ideas. I work it out by doing a dry run of what ever I am doing whether it be a new formula, a new postcard or a promo idea. Then I let it sit for a couple of weeks. During that time I either carry it with me everywhere I go (literally), give out samples or post it up at my desk at my office day job. I ask peoples opinion A LOT! I also keep all my ideas that hit the cutting room floor in a box or a file on my computer, which is currently overflowing.

9. What would be your dream job?
Water is my muse and New England weather is pretty cold half of the year so I would be somewhere on the west coast owning a Holistic spa and treatment center. I also want to start a promotions company working with upcoming musicians and bands. Music=Life!!

10. Do you have any quirks or obsessions you care to share?
I don't like my sheets to be uneven on my bed when it's made.

11. What’s your favorite color?
PURPLE PURPLE PURPLE

12. What’s the most difficult aspect of running your biz?
The financial stuff, all those numbers are so boring! I should only operate the creative side of things. But being small means being everyone and everything!

Ok, now these two are mandatory and I have to ask (this being a diner, after all)

1. What is your favorite meal?
(Sorry Vegans) Lobster omelet with a side of fresh veggies. Throw in a cup of Java and I'm golden.

2. Do you prefer tea or coffee?
Pot-O-Coffee did you say? Oh yes I'll take two thank you! During my 9-5 I drink ginger tea straight up with a twist of lemon.

No comments: